TEDxPotomac: A River Runs Through It
“The river is woven into our history. It graces our landscape. And in a modern urban environment, it is a reminder of our connection to the natural world, to ideas larger than us, and to our past and future.” – Patrick Smith, TEDxPotomac Organizer
The inaugural TEDxPotomac drew its name and inspiration from the Potomac River. Ideas surged and ebbed and flowed and branched.
The word cloud above highlights actions and ideas passionately conveyed by speakers and participants throughout the day. Some concepts that resonated:
- Humans have a basic need to collaborate. [Berit Oskey]
- We need context to give meaning. Find something in your world and discover its name and learn something about it. [Bob Corrigan @bobcorrigan @eolpm]
- The difference between first and second place: Do one more thing one more time. [Josh Sundquist @joshsundquist]
- Engage people. Share results. Ask for feedback. Listen. Repeat. [Craig Newmark @craignewmark]
- Redesign your expectations of what is possible. [Yoko K @yokokami]
- Data is power. Information is power. [Shannon Hader]
- Foster accountability over scapegoating, dispersion of power over concentration of power, transparency over anonymity. [Frances Moore Lappé @FMLappe]
- Live your life in pursuit of what makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning. [Warren Brown @cakelovewarren]
- Excellence touches people deeply [Steve Moore @readysetdc]
- Civility is a big deal. Be nice. [Craig Newmark @craignewmark]
And from the final talk of the day highlighting the theme of rivers and water:
Water is life. We are all environmentalists. Water connects us all across the globe. [Alexandra Cousteau @acousteau]
Thanks to the organizers, speakers, sponsors, and other participants for sharing their time, energy, and passion.
- TEDxPotomac site
- TEDxPotomac on Twitter @tedxpotomac #tedxpotomac
- TEDxPotomac on Flickr
- TEDx site (x = independently organized TED event)
- Main TED site
- Craig Newmark: Will 2010 be the new 1517?
- Think Tank Creative Event Recap: TEDxPotomac
- Threespot TEDxPotomac Booth-o-rama gallery
- ReadysetDC – Attending TEDxPotomac
- Shared Purpose: Beyond Politics: Can we find a shared purpose?
- politicsunder30.org – TEDxPotomac Recap!
The Magic of Red Helmets
New Year’s Resolutions: The Magnetic Poetry of TEDx MidAtlantic
Twelve Everyday Health Rules–From 1908
Image generated by Wordle http://www.wordle.net/
Thanks for paying attention! I really enjoyed speaking at TEDxPotomac and meeting so many interesting/smart/fun people there. Stay in touch – after all, we are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams, right?
I loved your points about the importance of names and context. My father taught me to always treat individuals with respect and never make fun of names since they are a key part of one’s identity. The Encyclopedia of Life http://www.eol.org underscores those concepts. Congrats on your great work and thanks for your inspiring TEDx talk.
[…] TEDxPotomac: A River Runs Through It […]